“For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.“2 Timothy 1:7
It is difficult to know who to trust and what to believe these days, especially in regards to the dissemination of information through major media outlets. The media propaganda machine is one of the most powerful and influential weapons used by the evil one to mislead, indoctrinate, distract, and cast doubt in the minds of millions. The days of objective journalism are over and journalistic integrity is at its lowest point in history.
Our enemy the devil isn’t called the “prince of the power of the air” for nothing. He is a master manipulator and deceiver, and among his favorite mediums used to spread lies are the airwaves of radio, television and the world wide web.
Take the now infamous Coronavirus, for example. How should we view this outbreak in a wise and responsible way? After all, it’s primarily been contained to China, although the first confirmed case of “unknown origin” in the United States was just announced this week in Northern California. Local and national media outlets are already warning citizens to be prepared to ration food, water and medical supplies in the event of an outbreak in the U.S.
As of the date of this article, February 28, 2020, the number of cases has passed 83,000, the majority of them in China, and the number of deaths is now 2,867, according to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. Some closer to China, however, are claiming that the number of infections and death ratios are much higher than what is being reported.
There is considerable chatter from legitimate sources that believe this particular virus was genetically engineered in a laboratory as an experiment gone terribly wrong or even a biological warfare weapon. Reports have surfaced that say the Coronavirus is a genetically mutated pathogen that is resistant to all forms of treatment and also has the capacity to mutate spontaneously. In other words, this virus cannot be stopped but must run its course.
This resistance is what has caused some to speculate if the virus could potentially become as deadly as the Spanish Flu of 1918, which killed some 50 million people worldwide. Health officials in China have predicted that the Coronavirus will infect upwards of 70% of the world population before all is said and done, which is 5 billion people. At the present death rate (approximately 2%), the global death count potentially could reach 100 million.
Others are downplaying the dangers and comparing the virus to more recent outbreaks like SARS, MERS, and the H1N1 swine flu. According to this Reuters article, the Coronavirus is substantially less life-threatening than any of its predecessors.
Coronavirus infections can range from mild cold-like symptoms to severe cases that cause pneumonia, acute respiratory illness and death. About 20% of confirmed cases in the China coronavirus outbreak are classified as severe, similar to SARS and MERS. Not unlike traditional influenza (flu), the Coronavirus can cause life-threatening symptoms to those with already weak immune systems or other extenuating circumstances.
To be honest, I have been praying for wisdom and discernment concerning the seriousness of the Coronavirus. There are so many dynamics at play here that I will try to put forth my thoughts in a coherent way.
- The Coronavirus could have been a genetic experiment gone bad, infecting those close to the project and getting out of control.
- The Coronavirus could have been genetically engineered as some form of biological weapon and introduced to the public to create fear and panic and ultimately to wreak havoc on national and global markets.
- I do find the timing of this outbreak at least interesting considering that the communist Chinese government was in the middle of trying to squelch a revolution in Hong Kong just a few months ago. Nothing like total quarantine to stop a political uprising.
- This virus could be more aggressive and deadly than we know, considering that the Chinese government traditionally suppresses information and uses fear and intimidation against its own people to keep them quiet.
- On the other hand, this virus may not be as serious as the media is portraying it to be and is only being used by the “power brokers” at large as an opportunity to create public fear, disrupt economic markets, interfere with the upcoming elections, and eventually force mass inoculations on the general public.
WHat Should We Do?
In light of all of this, I believe there are some necessary steps to take, especially for followers of Christ, that will help us through a potential Coronavirus outbreak here in the U.S.
- Do not fear but have faith — Fear, worry, and anxiety are the antitheses of exercising faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus commanded us not to be afraid and not to worry about tomorrow. Not to mention, fear and stress are the leading triggers that weaken our immune system, so it not only makes us weak spiritually and psychologically but also physically.
- Pray — Whenever faced with uncertainty, the first place we should turn is to God in prayer. Bring your worries to Him and trust Him to provide protection, peace, and His presence through every situation and circumstance.
- Strengthen Your Immune System — This public health scare provides a great opportunity to examine your lifestyle choices and make necessary changes to boost your immune system. We all know how God has designed our bodies to fight all diseases with a healthy diet, rest, proper hygiene, and exercise. These are our natural defenses against all forms of sickness. Make sure you eating natural foods rich in Vitamin C, Zinc, Magnesium, and other Vitamins. Stay hydrated by drinking water, preferably with lemon and lime. There also are some great herbs and spices, such as turmeric, ginger and garlic, that have tremendous benefits on our immune system.
- Prepare — In the event that a sever outbreak hits the U.S., it is wise to be prepared ahead of the chaos. If commerce slows down or even shuts down, grocery store shelves will be empty in less than a week. It is a good idea to stock up on some extra goods and items of basic necessity. Frozen fruits and veggies are a great way to store away healthy food. The government emergency website actually provides some good tips on how you should prep.
- Live for Today — Jesus reminds us of how we can become so worried and even paralyzed by fears of tomorrow, when in reality, tomorrow never comes. All we have is today, and I believe God wants us to live for today. We can plan for tomorrow, but we must focus on God at the here and now. Living for the day sets us free to serve God and love others in the present.
I will leave you with the words of Jesus Himself.
“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing … But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”Matthew 6:25, 33-34